Massachusetts Practical Nurse (PN) Initial Licensure by Examination:
U.S. Educated - First Time Tester Application Process
STEP 1: Read the Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your signature will attest that you have completed this requirement.
STEP 2: Read Instructions and Information for Application for Initial Nurse Licensure by Examination linked below.
STEP 3: REGISTER WITH PEARSON VUE to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).
- For questions about Pearson Vue's testing center identification policies and/or general questions please contact Pearson Vue at 1-866-496-2539 or visit the above web page.
- PLEASE NOTE: Registration with Pearson Vue does not automatically populate in your candidate checklist on your home page. Please allow time for processing for your registration to be acknowledged by PCS from Pearson Vue.
STEP 4: Request to have your Certificate of Graduation and Official Final Transcript sent directly to PCS from your educational program. Documents received from the applicant will not be accepted.
STEP 5: Read Good Moral Character Requirements for Licensure.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
STEP 6: Login and complete the online application and submit required fees. If you do not already have a PCS account, Click here to create an Account. You will receive an email from PCS once you have successfully created your account.
- If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the "Start Online Application" button below. You must use the 'Resubmit Your Application" link from your home page.
Before starting your application, have the following information available:
Your Initial PN education program name, location, graduation date and program code.
An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2x2 passport style photo.
Start Online Application
IMPORTANT NOTICE: For best experience, you must use Google Chrome or Firefox. We do not support Internet Explorer or Safari.
Please note: to protect your information, the online application will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Before submitting your application, confirm you have completed all required fields. You will not be able to submit your application if a required field is unanswered.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please email PCS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment will be made by credit card. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
STEP 7: Upload your 2x2 color passport style photo to your account page. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver's license photos not accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 8: PCS reviews applications upon receipt of all required documentation. PCS will notify applicant by email of any discrepancies.
STEP 9: Applicant receives Authorization to Test (ATT) via email from Pearson Vue.
STEP 10: Applicant shedules and takes NCLEX within 60 days of issuance of ATT.
- Failure to take the examination within 60 days of issuance of the ATT will result in a voided ATT.
STEP 11: If you receive a pass score, you will receive a License Letter via email from PCS on behalf of the Board.