Massachusetts Nurse Initial Licensure by NCLEX
Applicants who have previously submitted an application and tested are considered re-examination candidates. Re-examination candidates must submit a new online application, with the required re-examination fee. Fee must be paid by credit card. If you have uploaded a photo to your account less than one year ago, you do not need to upload a new one. Photos are good for one year.
- Expired Application (submitted initial exam applcation over 1 year ago) - $230.00
- Repeat tester (submitted initial exam application less than 1 year ago) - $80.00
- Please contact [email protected] if you are unsure of your initial application date.
STEP 1. Register online with Pearson Vue for the NCLEX or call 866-496-2539. You can register immediately for the examination, but you will not be able to take another examination until the 45 day waiting period has expired.
- For questions about Pearson Vue's testing center identification policies and/or general questions please contact Pearson Vue at 1-866-496-2539 or visit the above web page.
- PLEASE NOTE: Registration with Pearson Vue does not automatically populate in your candidate checklist on your home page. Please allow time for processing for your registration to be acknowledged by PCS from Pearson Vue.
STEP 2: Login and complete the Online Application and submit required fees.
If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the "Start Online Application" button below. You must use the 'Resubmit Your Application" link from your home page.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- Your Initial PN/RN education program name, location,graduation date and program code.
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date
- An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2x2 passport style photo. You must upload a photo to your account page after you submit your application with payment.
Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
Start Online Application
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You must use Google Chrome or Firefox on a desktop or laptop computer (no tablets or mobile phones). Our website does not support Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.
Please note: to protect your information, the online application will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Before submitting your application, confirm you have completed all required fields. You will not be able to submit your application if a required field is unanswered.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please email PCS at [email protected]
STEP 3: Upload your 2x2 color passport style photo to your account page. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 4: PCS reviews application upon reciept of all required documentation. PCS will notify applicant via email of discrepancies.
STEP 5: Applicant recieves ATT via email from Pearson Vue.
STEP 6: Applicant schedules and takes NCLEX within 60 days of issuance of the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter.
- Failure to take the examination within 60 days of issuance of the ATT will result in a voided ATT.
STEP 7: If you recieve a passing score, you will receive a License Letter via email from PCS on behalf of the Board.
- If you do not recieve a passing score, you will recieve a Candidate Performance Report and NCLEX Re-examination Instructions by mail.
- A licensure application will remain active for one (1) year from the date of receipt by Professional Credential Services (PCS).
- If the application is not complete, including meeting all licensure requirements, and achieving a “Pass” on the NCLEX within one (1) year from the date of receipt by PCS, the applicant must complete a new Initial Licensure by Examination Application in order to retake the NCLEX.
- Applicants who have an active licensure application (within 1 year of submission to PCS) and who must re-write the NCLEX, must submit a Nurse Initial Licensure by NCLEX Re-examination Application.
- The Certificate of Graduation and Official Final Transcript will be retained by PCS. You are not required to submit a new Certificate of Graduation or Transcript unless requested by the Massachusetts Board.