Massachusetts Registered Nurse (RN) Initial Licensure by Exam:
U.S. Educated - First Time Tester Application Process
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You must use Google Chrome or Firefox on a desktop or laptop computer (no tablets or mobile phones). Our website does not support Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.
If you need to apply for NCLEX Re-examination CLICK HERE
STEP 1: Read the Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your signature will attest that you have completed this requirement.
STEP 2: Read Instructions and Information for Application for Initial Nurse Licensure by Examination linked below.
STEP 3: REGISTER WITH PEARSON VUE to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).
- For questions about Pearson Vue's testing center identification policies and/or general questions please contact Pearson Vue at 1-866-496-2539 or visit the above web page.
- PLEASE NOTE: Registration with Pearson Vue does not automatically populate in your candidate checklist on your home page. Please allow time for processing for your registration to be acknowledged by PCS from Pearson Vue.
STEP 4: Request to have your Certificate of Graduation and your Official Final Transcript sent directly to PCS from your educational program.
STEP 5: Login and complete the online application and submit required fees. If you do not already have a PCS account, Click here to create an Account. You will receive an email from PCS once you have successfully created your account.
- If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the "Start Online Application" button below. You must use the 'Resubmit Your Application" link from your home page.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- Your Initial RN education program name, location and graduation date and program code.
- A list of all PN licenses (whether active or inactive), including license number, status and initial issue date.
- An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2x2 passport style photo.
Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
Start Online Application
For best experience, you must use Google Chrome or Firefox. We do not support Internet Explorer or Safari.
- Please note: to protect your information, the online application will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- Before submitting your application, confirm you have completed all required fields. You will not be able to submit your application if a required field is unanswered.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please email PCS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment will be made by credit card. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
STEP 6: Upload your 2x2 color passport style photo to your account page. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver's license photos not accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 7: Request all PN license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent directly to PCS (whether active or inactive). If you are licensed as a PN in Massachusetts, PCS will verify that license for you.
CLICK HERE to request license verifications from participating Nursys states. Select to send to MA Board
CLICK HERE to download the Verification of Nurse Licensure form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- Fees may apply.
- Verification must be sent directly to PCS from state board.
STEP 8: PCS reviews application upon receipt of all required documentation. PCS will notify the applicant via email of all discrepancies.
STEP 9: Applicant receives Authorization to Test (ATT) via email from Pearson Vue.
STEP 10: Applicant schedules and takes NCLEX within 60 days of issuance of the ATT.
- Failure to take the examination within 60 days of issuance of the ATT will result in a voided ATT.
STEP 11: If you receive a pass score, you will receive a License Letter via email from PCS on behalf of the Board.
- If you do not receive a pass score, you will receive a Candidate Performance Report and NCLEX Re-examination Instructions by mail.