1. Complete, and submit the MA Nursing Application with the requested documentation to PCS.
- The Massachusettes Board of Registration in Nursing requires all fields in the application to be complete and accurate. Please note:
- PCS will confirm all active and inactive licenses, including the intial license issue date and license number.
- PCS will validate your education program graduation date and location. Please list the educational program that led to your initial RN licensure.
Online Application will be available on July 5, 2017.
As of April 1, 2016 any individual applying for Initial Licensure by Reciprocity in Massachusetts is now required to have submitted directly to the PCS, an Official Final Transcript from their nursing program leading to initial licensure for the application license type. Please list this as your education program on your application as well. These should not be sent by the Applicant or attached to the Application. Any transcripts that are not received directly from a nursing program will not be processed and will be returned to the Applicant. If you have multiple nursing degrees please submit the transcript from your first nursing diploma/degree program.
- As of April 4, 2016, all Non-US educated nurses applying for Licensure by Reciprocity must now complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
- You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply by reciprocity using this application.
- If a Good Moral Character question is answered yes, CLICK HERE. If you must complete the Board’s Good Moral Character Evaluation, required documentation should be sent directly to the Board AFTER submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
2. Request license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent to PCS (whether active and inactive, LPN, RN, or APRN).
CLICK HERE to request license verifications from participating Nursys states.
- Please note attaching a copy of Nusys Quick Confirm is not accepted as proff of verification.
- CLICK HERE and select "participating states" in the green box for a list of Nursys participating states. License verifications for states not participating in Nursys must be recieved by mail directly from the nursing board to PCS.
Use this form here if the state is not a participating Nursys state (fees may apply).
3. Upon Receipt of all required documentation (complete application, verifications and transcripts), PCS reviews applications and verifications for completeness and accuracy.
If incomplete, PCS will notify applicant via email or mail of all discrepancies.
4. PCS emails the License Letter to the applicant.
5. At the same time of approval, PCS submits information to MA Board electronically.
6. The Massachusetts Board of Nursing posts license numbers on their website within 24 hours of approval; click here to view.
7. Official licenses will arrive in the mail within 21 business days.