1. Download, complete, and submit the MA Nursing Application with the requested documentation to PCS.
- As of April 1, 2016 any individuals applying for Initial Licensure by Reciprocity in Massachusetts are now required to have submitted directly to the PCS, an Official Final Transcripts from their nursing programs. These should not be sent by the Applicant or attached to the Application. Any transcripts that are not received directly from a nursing program will not be processed and will be returned to the Applicant.
- As of April 4, 2016, all Non-US educated nurses applying for Licensure by Reciprocity must now complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
- You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply by reciprocity using this application.
- If a Good Moral Character question is answered yes, CLICK HERE. If you must complete the Board’s Good Moral Character Evaluation, required documentation should be sent directly to the Board AFTER submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
2. Request license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent to PCS (whether active and inactive, LPN, RN, or APRN).
Click here to request license verifications from participating Nursys states.
- Please note attaching a copy of Nusys Quick Confirm is not accepted as proff of verification.
Use this form here if the state is not a participating Nursys state (fees may apply).
3. PCS reviews applications and verifications for completeness and accuracy within three to five business days of receipt . Please allow additional processing time during peak season (June – September) - seven to ten full business days.
If incomplete, PCS will notify applicant via email or mail of all discrepancies.
4. PCS emails the License Letter to the applicant within 3 business days of approval.
5. At the same time of approval, PCS submits information to MA Board electronically.
6. The Massachusetts Board of Nursing posts license numbers on their website within 24 hours of approval; click here to view.
7. Official licenses will arrive in the mail within 21 business days.