Beginning July 1, 2017
- All applications to the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing for initial licensure by examination and reciprocity will be submitted as an On-Line application only.
- Paper applications previously submitted will be processed.
- All applications submitted with a post mark on or before June 30, 2017 will be accepted.
- Any applicant applying with a post mark date after the June 30, 2017 deadline will be directed to submit an on-line application.
Online Application will be available on July 5, 2017.
Applicants who have previously submitted an application and tested are considered re-examination candidates. Re-examination candidates must submit a new complete application, including photo, with the required re-examination fee:
- Expired Application (over 1 year of application) - $230.00
- Repeat (within 1 year of application) - $80.00
- As of April 4, 2016, individuals applying for both Initial Licensure by Examination and by Reciprocity in Massachusetts are now required to have submitted directly to the Professional Credential Services (PCS), an Official Final Transcript from their RN and/or LPN program. PCS cannot accept a transcript that is sent by the Applicant or attached to the Application. Any transcripts that are not received directly from a nursing program will not be processed and the application will be considered incomplete.
- A licensure application will remain current for one (1) year from the date of receipt by Professional Credential Services (PCS) pending completion of all nurse licensure requirements, including achievement of a “Pass” on the NCLEX. Applicants who have a current licensure application (within 1 year of submission to PCS) and who must re-write the NCLEX must submit a new complete application.
- The Certificate of Graduation and Official Final Transcript will be retained by PCS. You are not required to submit a new Certificate of Graduation or Transcript unless requested by the Massachusetts Board of Nursing.
- All Non-US educated nurses applying for Licensure by Reciprocity must now complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
1. Register on-line with Pearson VUE for the NCLEX. You may also register by telephone 866-496-2539. While applicants can register immediately for the examination, applicants will not be able to take another examination until the 45 day waiting period has expired.
2. Complete and submit a complete new application with required payment, indicating ‘REPEAT’ for applicant type.
3. After PCS receives a complete application and registering with Pearson Vue, applicants will receive a new ATT within three - five business days.
4. Applicants schedule and take the examination with Pearson VUE.
5. Applicants receive their score results from PCS in approximately 10 days after the examination.