Beginning July 1, 2017
- All applications to the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing for initial licensure by examination and reciprocity will be submitted as an On-Line application only.
- Paper applications previously submitted will be processed.
- All applications submitted with a post mark on or before June 30, 2017 will be accepted.
- Any applicant applying with a post mark date after the June 30, 2017 deadline will be directed to submit an on-line application.
Online Application will be available on July 5, 2017.
NOTE: If applicant withdrew from a RN program, then download, complete and mail the document below, to the address on the form, prior to completing step 1 below. Proceed only to step 1 below once Board approval has been received.
Determination of Eligibility for Practical Nurse Reciprocity
1. Complete, and submit the MA Nursing Application with the requested documentation to PCS.
- The Massachusettes Board of Registration in Nursing requires all fields in the application to be complete and accurate. Please note:
- PCS will confirm all active and inactive licenses, including the intial license issue date and license number.
- PCS will validate your education program graduation date and location. Please list the degree program obtained for initial licensure for the license type you are applying for.
- As of April 1, 2016 any individual applying for Initial Licensure by Reciprocity in Massachusetts is now required to have submitted directly to PCS, an Official Final Transcript from the nursing program leading to initial licensure for the application license type. Please list this as your education program on your application as well. These should not be sent by the Applicant or attached to the Application. Any transcripts that are not received directly from a nursing program will not be processed and will be returned to the Applicant.
- As of April 4, 2016, all Non-US educated nurses applying for Licensure by Reciprocity must now complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
- If a Good Moral Character question is answered yes, click here. If you must complete the Board’s Good Moral Character Evaluation, required documentation should be sent directly to the Board AFTER submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
2. Request license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent to PCS (whether active and inactive).
CLICK HERE to request license verification from participating Nursys states.
- Please note attaching a copy of Nusys Quick Confirm is not accepted as proff of verification.
Use this form here if the state is not a participating Nursys state (fees may apply).
3. Upon receipt of all required documentation (complete application, verifications and transcripts), PCS reviews applications and verifications for completeness and accuracy.
If incomplete, PCS will notify applicants via email or mail of all discrepancies.
4. PCS emails the License Letter to the applicant.
5. At the same time of approval, PCS submits information to MA Board electronically.
6. The Massachusetts Board of Nursing posts license numbers on their website within 24 hours of approval; CLICK HERE to view.
7. Official licenses will be mailed within 21 business days.