Massachusetts Practical Nurse (PN) Licensure by Reciprocity Process
STEP 1: Read the Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your signature will attest that you have completed this requirement.
STEP 2: Read Infromation and Instructions for Application for Licensure as a Practical Nurse by Reciprocity linked below.
- INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE AS A PRACTICAL NURSE BY RECIPROCITY
STEP 3: Login and complete the online application and submit required fees. You must have a PCS account to login. Click Here to Create an Account with PCS if you do not already have one. You will receive an email from PCS once you have successfully created your account.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date.
- Information about your education program that led to your initial PN licensure, including school name, location and graduation date.
- An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2x2 passport style photo. You must upload a photo to your account page after you submit your application with payment.
Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
Start Online Application
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You must use Google Chrome or Firefox on a desktop or laptop computer (no tablets or mobile phones). Our website does not support Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.
- Please note: to protect your information, the online application will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- Before submitting your application, confirm you have completed all required fields. You will not be able to submit your application if a required field is unanswered.
- Payment will be made by credit card. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please email PCS at email@example.com.
STEP 4: Upload your 2x2 color passport style photo to your account page. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver's license photos not accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 5: Request all PN license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent directly to PCS (whether active or inactive).
- PCS will confirm receipt of all license verifications and confirm initial license issue dates, license numbers and jurisdictions listed on your application. Failure to list all licenses accurately on your application will cause processing delays.
- CLICK HERE to request license verifications from participating Nursys states.
- CLICK HERE to download the Verification of Nurse Licensure form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- Fees may apply.
- Verification must be sent directly to PCS from state board.
- U.S Educated: Request to have your Official Final Transcript that led to your initial PN licensure sent directly to PCS from your educational program. PCS cannot accept transcripts received from the applicant.
- Official Final Transcripts must be mailed by the educational program directly to PCS: ATN: MA Board of Registration in Nursing
C/O MA Nurse Coordinator
P.O. Box 198788 Nashville, TN 37219
- If you have multiple nursing degrees please submit the transcript from your first PN nursing diploma/degree program.
- Non-US educated: Complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
STEP 7: PCS reviews application for completeness and accuracy. Upon receipt of all required documentation, PCS will notify the applicant via email of all discrepancies.
STEP 8: PCS, on behalf of the Board, emails License Letter to applicant.
- You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply by reciprocity using this application.