Massachusetts Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Authorization Application Process
STEP 1: Read Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your signature will attest that you have completed this requirement.
STEP 2: Read Instructions and Information for Application for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Authorization linked below.
INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION FOR APPLICATION FOR ADVANCED PRACTICE REGISTERED NURSE (APRN) AUTHORIZATION
STEP 3: Login and complete the online application and submit required fees. If you do not already have a PCS account, Click here to create an Account. You will receive an email from PCS once you have successfully created your account.
- If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the "Start Online Application" button below. You must use the 'Resubmit Your Application" link from your home page.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date.You must list all licenses completely and accurately. PCS will confirm this information. Leaving a license off your application or not listing it accurately, will require you to complete a new application.
- Information about your advanced practice certification, including certifying body, certification number, and expiration date.
- Your advanced practice nursing education program name, location and graduation date.
- An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2x2 passport style photo.
Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
Start Online Application
For best experience, you must use Google Chrome or Firefox. We do not support Internet Explorer or Safari.
Please note: to protect your information, the online application will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Before submitting your application, confirm you have completed all required fields. You will not be able to submit your application if a required field is unanswered.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please email PCS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 4: Upload your 2x2 color passport style photo to your account page. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver's license photos not accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 5: Request license verifications from each state of licensure to be sent directly to PCS (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, or APRN). PCS will confirm receipt of all license verifications and confirm license numbers and jurisdictions listed on your application. Failure to list all licenses accurately on your application will cause processing delays.
- CLICK HERE to request license verifications from participating Nursys states.
- CLICK HERE to download the Verification of Nurse Licensure form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- Fees may apply.
- Verification must be sent directly to PCS from state board.
STEP 6: Request verification of certification status be sent from Massachusetts Board approved APRN certification organization directly to PCS.
STEP 7: Request Official Final Transcript from the APRN nursing education program the applicant graduated to be sent direclty to PCS:
ATN: MA Board of Registration in Nursing
C/O MA Nurse Coordinator
P.O. Box 198788 Nashville, TN 37219
- The nursing program must send the Official Final Transcript directly to PCS. Transcripts received from the applicant will not be accepted.
STEP 8: PCS reviews applications upon receipt of all required documentation. PCS will notify applicant via email with any discrepancies.
STEP 9: PCS, on behalf of the Board, emails the Letter of Authorization to applicant.